This original post written August 2012. Scroll down for recent update. Unfortunately, it’s not surprising.
No more tears? I would rather have no more formaldehyde. I just might get my wish.
Today, the personal care giant announced that it would voluntarily (after consistent pressure from the public and groups like EWG) remove hidden formaldehyde, specifically quaternium-15, from their baby products like baby shampoo and baby washes. Didn’t know that quaternium-15 releases formaldehyde? Formaldehyde is “hidden” in ingredient names like “DMDM hydantoin“, and “1,4 dioxane” (which is “hidden” in listed ingredients like “fragrance”. It’s all a big fun game, you see.).
“There’s a very lively public discussion going on about the safety of ingredients in personal care products,” said Susan Nettesheim, VP for product stewardship and toxicology for J & J. This “lively discussion” has been going on since 2011.
Lively discussion? If someone was selling you shampoo for your baby that had cancer causing agents hidden in it, I hardly think the discussion with that person would be “lively”.
About the known cancer causing (as listed on the US EPA carcinogen list) chemicals, Ms Nettesheim says, ““…as a scientist I will sit here and tell you these things are perfectly safe.” (I wonder what shampoo she uses on her kids)
To J & J’s credit, they are also going to phase out other harmful chemicals like pthalates and parabens which have estrogen-like properties and are suspected to be linked to hormone related cancers. They plan to phase these chemicals out in their adult brands as well. Johnson & Johnson also operates under squeaky clean names like Neutrogena, Aveno, and Clean & Clear.
Hopefully this will have a domino effect and other big names will follow. I would score this as a victory for everyone who wants to wash their kid’s hair without risk of exposing them to carcinogens.
I would advise you to wait to use the new J & J products until you see the big bright labels that say “No more carcinogens!”
As The Savvy Sister says ” Your skin is a carrier…NOT a barrier!”
Read more here.
Check your currents brand’s safety here at Good Guide
and here at EWG’s data base.
If you plan to comment, please note I don’t publish any comments that are rude, are yelling in caps or that are directed towards other comments and comment-ors in a negative way. Thanks very much! Peace & Namaste!
And if you’re interested in finding out how to stay healthy and reduce your risk of cancer in general, don’t forget about our (Florence and me) book released August 2013 and killing it on Amazon. Thanks to all of you who are buying and loving our book! Great for anyone who wants to kick cancer or avoid it! Check out our web site here.
And if you are looking for healthy beautiful skincare look no further than MOON Organics. I created it, so you KNOW it’s good:)
The NEW Formula!!
So here we are in 2015 and the “new formula” of baby shampoo is here! Before you get all excited, let’s take a look at the ingredients in the “NEW FORMULA”, shall we?:
- water (so far so good…)
- PEG-80 (that’s polyethelyen glycol-80…this chemical scored a 5 out of 10 on the hazard list and is a high concern to be contaminated with ethylene oxide which scored a 10 because of it’s high risk of cancer causing actions. It also has a high concern to be contaminated with 1,4 dioxane , which we know activates cancer.)
- Cocamidopropyl bentaine (a “soap-like” product that scores 4 for skin irritation)
- sodium trideceth sulfate (this one’s OK)
- PEG-150 Distearate (a soap-like agent…scores a 3)
- Phenoxyethanol (a chemical preservative scoring a 3 for EYE IRRITATION!!!!!)
- Glycerin (OK)
- Citric Acid (from fruits, it’s OK)
- fragrance (here’s that word again…any chemicals can be hidden in this ingredient as the industry does not have to disclose what their “fragrance” consists of. Unless it says “natural fragrance” or “fragrance from essential oils” you can assume it’s not good)
- sodium benzoate (a preservative restricted in Japan, it scores a 3)
- tetrasodium EDTA (scores a 3)
- polyquaternium-10 (similar to the quaternium-15, but safe. This is one of the few ingredients that scores a 0 for hazards)
- ethylhexylglycerin (preservative scoring a 1)
- sodium hydroxide (scoring a 3, this buffering agent can cause EYE IRRITATION)
- potassium acrylates copolymer (a binding agent scoring a 2)
- artificial color yellow 6 (scores a 0, but does your kid really care what color his shampoo is?
- artifical color yellow 10 (scores a 0-3 depending on how much you use it…again, is this necessary?)
I love the way it says “our babies will inherit our planet”. Our babies who, if they could talk, would be spreading the message that using this many chemicals in a friggin’ baby shampoo is unhealthy for everyone.
It only takes 26 seconds for that shampoo to get into your baby’s bloodstream and go to every organ of their body. Would you feed this shampoo to them? If you’re using it, you are. When your baby shampoo says “keep out of reach of children” it’s got to make you think….
There are 17 ingredients in this shampoo and only 2 of them aren’t chemicals!! Water and glycerin.
Dr Bronners is my choice for soap for the whole family. I’ve been using them for years and everything about their products and company screams NATURAL GOOD ENERGY! Click here for they baby stuff
On a more disturbing note…..
Johnson & Johnson is involved in a class action lawsuit based on their talcum powder causing ovarian cancer. This was well known but not listed on the “precaution statements” on the label. Very disturbing considering baby powder is used on baby girls millions of times a day… See the 2015 lawsuit here.
DON’T TRUST ANYONE BUT YOURSELF WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT YOU USE ON OR IN YOUR BODY. GET THE FACTS FOR YOURSELF.