Yes…I am no stranger to trying…and trying…and trying vegan mac and cheeze recipes in the hopes of finding the right one that will make me say “YES!” instead of just “It’s ok I guess”.
Well my search is over thanks to Vegangela. She made some changes to the recipe she found…and I made some changes to the one she posted (out of necessity and just because..)and I think it came out amazing. I even fed it to my husband (who, up until a very short time ago would eat a pound of cheese as an appetizer before dinner) who actually said “I like it very much.” Anyone who knows my husband knows this is a huge ringing endorsement.
So here it is:
Vegan Mac and Cheeze (“cheeze” is slang for vegan cheese in case you didn’t know the lingo. It’s pronounced “cheeze” instead of “cheese”)
- 8 ounces macaroni noodles (I used organic quinoa elbows)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked for 2 hours in water (I used Marcona almonds once but the cashews work much better )
- 1 3/4 cup plant-based milk (use full fat coconut milk for maximum creaminess)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (or 1.5 tablespoons corn starch if you must…tapioca is much smoother and healthier)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (eating miso has been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or pink salt
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil (optional..I mean who can afford that stuff?)
- pepper to taste
- bread crumbs of your choice (if you plan to bake the mac and cheese)
Cook macaroni according to directions, drain and set aside. Preheat over to 325 if you plan to bake in an 8 x 8 dish rather than pour the cheeze over the noodles and eat immediately.
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend to the bejeezez for at least 3 full minutes. Check for smoothness.
4. Add noodles to pot with cheese. (Drizzle with truffle oil and serve) You can eat like this or…pour noodles and cheeze into an 8 x 8 glass pan and cover with 1 tablespoon bread crumbs of your choice. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
If you like your baked mac and cheeze very rich with lots of cheese, increase the cheeze sauce ingredients by 1/2 (so just divide the amounts by a half and add that back to the amount so…1 1/2 cups nuts…2 1/2 cups milk…1/3 cup yeast…etc. If you need help ask a 9th grader)
Let me know if you agree!!
I also made a bit more and put it in the fridge. It tasted just like spreadable cheddar! I couldn’t control myself!