…namely: energy, brains, grace, and the hutzpah that has allowed her to remain mayor of Canada’s 6th largest city for the past 31 years.
Mississauga is a city in Ontario, Canada. “Hurricaine” Hazel McCallion been mayor of this beautiful city for 11 terms and there doesn’t seem to be an end to her reelection as she has a 92% approval rating.
The amazing thing about the city of Mississauga is that it’s one of the few cities that has no debt! Zero! Zinch! Nada! AND has $700 million in the city’s reserve! This city has not borrowed money since 1978! She needs to teach this kind of philosophy to Washington….can you imagine?
And to top it off, she always “puts on her skates when asked to drop the puck at the local hockey game”. Why? Because “they like to see their mayor on skates and they like to see me circle around a bit.” (she was a professional women’s hockey player, you see.)
You can read all her accomplishments here. (read when you have lots of extra time as it is quite extensive)
This well done interview by The Mercer Report shows what I believe are the reasons for this woman’s energy level at age 88:
- she keeps physically active – notice her on the exercise bike and ice skating
- she has a good sense of humor – she spends most of this interview laughing
- she enjoys a challenge – check out the 3-D model of the future city.
- she’s not afraid…of anything
- she does not see a time when she “retires”. That is, age means nothing to her.
- (I also like that she is wearing a breast cancer awareness hockey jersey)
Check it out:
What do you think? Can you see yourself like this when you are 88?