Easy Vegan Sloppy Joe (a “carnivore converter” recipe)
This amazingly satisfying version of the old family favorite got the “thumbs up” from picky “won’t-eat-anything-vegan” husband.
The recipe subs out the chopped beef for quinoa, a seed that has all the complete protein of chopped meat without the unhealthy animal product effects. The taste is thick and rich and certainly belly-filling…perfect for a cold night’s hearty dinner. I have it paired with a salad, but it goes great with cole slaw as well.
- one acorn or buttercup squash
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 red or green pepper diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic crushed (peel garlic and let it rest 10 minutes to release the beneficial allicin from the clove before you crush it)
- 1 tBs olive oil
- 1 six oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa (I used red for visual appeal–any type of quinoa will work)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 tsp fresh basil chopped fine
6. Add cooked squash, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp chili powder to quinoa and mix well.
7. Add tomato mixture to quinoa and mix well. Season with more sea salt or chili powder to taste. (some like it hot)
This recipe makes about 4 cups. If you have some left over, it is great over brown rice or in a wrap, or just by itself!
This is my own creation (so far as I know) so credit and a link would be nice. Thanks.
Serving size: 1/2 cup Servings per recipe approx 8
Entry filed under: health, healthy living blogs, healthy recipes, vegan cooking, vegan recipes, vegetarian recipes. Tags: easy quick quinoa recipes, easy vegan sloppy joe, healthy sloppy joe recipe, quinoa recipes, vegan sloppy joe recipe, vegetarian sloppy joe recipe.